Wednesday, March 6, 2013

HOME SCHOOL DILEMA


I haven’t had a lot of time by myself to get on and blog but I do miss it and the sanity it brought me.

I started working part time as a substitute teacher and I realized how much I absolutely LOVE it! I can only sub at the school my boys are in because my youngest doesn't qualify for the extended day program offered by his school. That doesn't leave me with many days to sub in our small school. I usually get in 1-2 days a week but have had the occasional teacher that needed to be out for longer. It is such a rewarding (and yes I am going to say it, FUN!) time. I love scouring the web, Pinterest and TPT to find fun stuff to bring. I have bought my own treasure box items and used it alongside the teacher’s behavioral plan. I created (going off of the idea of others on TPT) a fill in the area note to leave for the teacher of our day, and I have gotten to know so many amazing students and teachers!


So now to my dilemma...

The school we are in now is not our zoned school. We are there on a variance for both my boys because my Lovebug is in the ESE pre-k program. Next year he will be starting kindergarten and we will be moving to our zoned school. My middle has been at this school for kindergarten and first and will be switching to a new school for second. On top of this, we will be moving within the next year or two and may have to switch schools again! The idea of it breaks my heart! My oldest is in middle school, and although she is a great student. Ok she is a little too social at times and slacks on her school work, but for the most part she is wonderful. Her school and the high school she will be attending in 2 years scares the CRAP out of me! There are the usual fights that constantly break out everywhere, the make-out sessions and worse in the bathrooms, the drugs and cussing and bullies, then there’s the gun that two high school students brought on campus, the knife that was pulled out during a fight, and so much more that scares me.

So what should a mom do? I can’t protect my kids from everything, I have to let them experience life, I can’t shield them from all dangers… right? I love teaching and my kids would most likely benefit more from being homeschooled so I am contemplating doing that. I am weighing the pros and cons, trying to get all of the facts and opinions from as many sides as I can.

So far here is what I have:
PRO
CON
o   Home as a family to spend more time together
o   More 1:1 learning than in a full classroom
o   I love teaching so I think I will be good at it and not
get burnt out quickly
o   Without the social scene being a major influence in
my eldest’s day I think she will learn and progress
further
o   SAFETY (They will not be exposed to the amount of
bullies and hormonal kids walking around on campus)
o   Together ALWAYS
o   Finding the right curriculum can take time and
Waste Money on ones we don’t like or use
o   Can get expensive between school supplies (I am
a Supply junkie) and books, equipment, furniture,
etc.
o   I tend to start some projects and not finish (so
What if this is one of them)
o   Even though I know we can find other means
of Socialization I worry that they won’t get
enough.
I will have to quit my part-time job and lose that income

























So my question is: Do you home school? If yes, can you give me some pros/cons, If no, would you? If not, why?

Also I would love to gather as much info to make an informed decision, so if you do home school what are your top must-haves, how did you decide on the curriculum (what do you use) Do you plan on doing it through high school? What have been your biggest issues with home schooling?

Please leave answers in comments! :D

Thanks guys!!!
XOXO Angela


This is another reason why I am a little skeptical of home schooling... My kids are umm, little monsters sometimes. In the short time I was writing this my lovebug wrote on the wall (and his brother’s neck) my middle has been up and down picking fights with the youngest. SIGH...



No comments:

Post a Comment