Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Yummy Goodness Baked Into a Cake


Today is my husband and his twin brother’s birthday! And birthdays mean CAKE! I am not a chef, cook, baker, or anything else that does anything in a kitchen. I mean I can follow a recipe and it will taste good. Sometimes I get crazy and will add some different spices. WHAT? I know, I warned you…crazy!

Well my in-laws love this certain pistachio pudding recipe that is more mousse-y than pudding-y (I know those are words) and of course I made this one night while my wonderful friend was over. She had the brilliant idea of turning it into a cake frosting…. So viola, birthday cake idea was made!

It was super easy and super yummy! Here’s what ya need:
     1.   1 box cake (I told you I wasn’t a baker!) I used Duncan Hines
     2.   The ingredients for the cake(3 eggs, 1 cup water, 1/3 cup oil)
     3.   3 boxes of pistachio pudding
     4.   2 cups of milk
     5.   Container of cool whip
     6.   Mini chocolate chips (if you want extra goodness, of course)

I mixed the cake according to box, adding one pack of the pudding mix to the cake mix.

Note: my cake was a little too thick so I added about a Tbs more water and a little more oil. Only if your mix is too thick.

I blended and baked the cake in two 8x8 round pans (or they were 9x9, I am not positive)
Because I wasn't sure what size they were exactly, I put the timer on for a couple mindless than the called for time. The toothpick was still messy so I cooked them for 5 more mins. Took them out and let them cool in the pans on a wire rack.Left for a couple hours to go play with my friend and then came home.

Time to make the mousse-y pudding-y frosting!

Dump the remaining two boxes of pudding mix in a bowl, add 2 cups of milk and a container of cool whip. Mix together and stick in fridge to chill. After a bout 15 mins, about the length of time it took me to get dressed for dinner, I took it out of the fridge and dumped in a handful of mini chocolate chips. OK fiiiine, two heaping handfuls! Then fold the chips into the pistachio pudding mix.


Now frost the heck out of your cake, layer your second cake on top, frost the heck out of that one and then it’s go time!
You should also have a heaping pile of pudding left in the bowl. Save that for when hubby is working late, kids are in bed, and you decide you want a yummy snack; suddenly remember the pistachio mousse pudding hiding in the secret part of the fridge (wait that should be invented! Secret compartments) and do your happy dance! 

If you make this I hope you enjoy it! Please leave me nice comments telling me so! If you don’t like it you can leave me nice comments telling me I smell nice and I’m pretty but you don’t care for the cake! ;-)

Love Always,
Angela xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment